Haere mai! Welcome to Mairtown Kindergarten's blog.

Nau Mai Haere mai. Welcome to Mairtown Kindergarten's blog.


21 Princes Street, Kensington, Whangarei, New Zealand

Phone: 09 437 2742

Email: mairtown@nka.org.nz

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Through the lens of a new teacher

As a beginning teacher last year I decided it was time to go relieving and experience what other early childhood environments offer, with the aim to enhance and develop my own professional teaching practice.  I clearly remember the first time I relieved at Mairtown Kindergarten, and the feeling I had from the moment I walked through the front gate; I was impressed by the environment and totally inspired by the teachers.  Considering I was born at Whangarei hospital and have spent almost my whole life living here I had never ever visited Mairtown Kindergarten before, so I was totally astonished by the feeling I had of being at home and truly welcome.


“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.  They must be felt with the heart”. Helen Keller

From my observations it was very obvious that the tamariki (children) and whānau (families) also felt similarly as there is a real genuine sense of whakatue (respect), aroha (love), manaakitanga (caring/nurturing/loving) whanaungatanga (relationships/connectedness) and whakahoahoa (friendliness) within the Kindergarten.
The environment fascinated me greatly, outside there were no primary coloured boxes rather a nature inspired environment with humongous totara stumps with planks, monkey bars made out of wood and roped into the trees and a riverbed with a stream.  Inside I was awestruck by a calming and uncluttered environment that was set up to be aesthetically pleasing with flowers in glass vases, real china, glass and cutlery that really gives the feeling of home away from home and creates an inviting environment to play. 




“Beauty and surprise should be the basis of every child’s environment- every direction a child looks at should be filled with materials and structures that inspire curiosity and delight”. (Rusty Keeler, 2008)

I couldn’t help notice how the children appeared so happy, competent and confident while busily involved and engaged in their play.  This is especially evident when the children are exploring their environment and making new discoveries, they seem so enthusiastic and willing to try new things.



“Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind.  The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another.” Marva Collins



Driving home after my first day relieving at Mairtown Kindergarten I realised what a great sense of professionalism the teaching team had.  I observed how they are passionate, enthusiastic teachers who constantly refer to literature instead of leaving it to collect dust.





“Passionate teachers are distinguished by their commitment to achievement of their students.  Commitment is an essential element of successful teaching.  Teachers, who are engaged in their profession and committed to students and their learning, play a crucial role in development of students”. (Mart, 2013). 





In term 4, 2013 I applied for and was very lucky to have won the long term relieving position at Mairtown, this means I will be now taking turns to write to the blog.  This is my first blog to give a little back ground information and to introduce myself, so until next time take care.
Christine and I celebrating our birthday's
Nga mihi, Susie






1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on a wonderful blog. How great to find a kindergarten that inspires you and that you have now joined.
I have been teaching for 9 years and decided to go back relieving just to see a great variety of ECE settings and the great work teachers are providing for their children and community.
Always new ideas to learn and share.

Translate